Tuesday 12 October 2010

Sep. 11, 2010: 9/11 Post












I can remember the exactly where I was at on Sep. 11, 2001. I was in elementary school where there was an unimaginable silence in the air. My teacher came from a staff meeting in regards how to successfully deliver such news to young students. My teacher then told us that the World Trade Centers in New York City was been crashed into. I was not really affected by it, primarily because I did not know the full extent on the damage. When I arrived home, I turned on the television and realized the true extent of the bombing.

Now 9 years later, I will never forget where I was on Sep. 11, 2010. I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to New York City. I travelled throughout the city using the public transportation stop. When I got on the train, it was full of people; however, as I got to the stop “World Trade Center” it was virtually empty. When I arrived to the actual site, it was quite interesting. There were actually a lot of people there taking photographs and reflecting. A thing that surprised me was that were actual people there saying that Sep. 11 was a coordinated government attack, which the United States government had actually planned for such an event to occur.

As I walked further contemplating what to do next besides take photos, I suddenly remembered Sep. 11, 2010 is the anti-Islamic center protest. I decided to go there strictly to observe the atmosphere; I was a tad bit unprepared for the atmosphere. Since I did not have a clue where I was going, I just followed the noise of a crowd. When I was finally able to see the crowd, I stood in disbelief that there were so many people here to protest an Islamic center. You could cut through the tension with a knife. There was a man who firmly believed that what he believed was the truth, so much so, that he decided to tell a Muslim man “Shari’a is shit”. I could not believe it since everyone can be entitled to his or her religion.

There were tons of people debating whether or not the Islamic center should be built. In addition, there were protestors who protested the protestors against the Islamic center. People began shouting and yelling at each other. As the rally closed those, who were against the Islamic center started chanting “No More Mosque!” Members from the crowd then began to push and shove the supporters of the Islamic center. In some cases, the supporters were spat on. I could not believe what I was seeing, after tons of maneuvering through crowds and people I was finally able to board a train back to New Jersey.


Feel free to look at more photos:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=293076&id=365466194415

  • rss
  • Del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Share this on Technorati
  • Post this to Myspace
  • Share this on Blinklist
  • Submit this to DesignFloat

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket